Google today introduced Gmail plug-ins, a framework that allows developers to integrate the functionality of their application directly into Gmail.
The functionality was first made available to developers in March, in draft form, and has now been officially released with 10 add-ons that are available in G Suite Marketplace.
This is not the first G Suite product to support add-ons. Google Documents, Spreadsheets, Presentation and Forms also have the possibility of using add-ons.
Gmail plugins work the same way on Android and the Web, which means you only need to install them once to access them on all your devices. “We are working with Apple to offer plug-ins for iOS Gmail users,” a Google spokesperson told VentureBeat.
The top 10 Gmail add-ons are:
- Asana: Converts communication with clients, customers, and teammates into tasks that can be traced, all from their inbox.
- Dialpad : Send messages or call colleagues from your device, at any time. Automatically view recent communications or create a new contact directly from Gmail.
- Hire : Add candidates, manage candidate information, and upload curricula without leaving Gmail.
- Intuit QuickBooks Invoicing : Create and send professional invoices directly to Gmail. It allows customers to pay you online and tracks the status of invoices and payments no matter where you are.
- ProsperWorks : Easily access customer or prospect data and record call, demonstration and meeting activities. You can also analyze opportunities, tasks, and related events.
- RingCentral : Check the online and offline status of RingCentral contacts, check recent calls history, make outgoing calls (requires RingCentral for mobile) and access SMS messages.
- Smartsheet : Add content from email and attachments directly to Smartsheet without leaving Gmail.
- Streak : Adds email conversations to bids, access rich information from a contact, and respond quickly with clippings directly from Gmail.
- Trello : Converts email into actionable tasks to give the team a shared view of the work that needs to be done.
- Wrike : Create tasks from emails, query and update task details and send and receive task comments.
- DocuSign (not yet available): Will allow you to sign and execute contracts, agreements and other documents directly in Gmail.
The usefulness of this new functionality will depend on which developers are incorporated into the solution and begin to develop Gmail add-ons.